Saturday, August 29, 2015

The end of the week - a new painting.


The last post that I wrote mentioned the modern narcissistic attitude of most people, but I have to admit that most artists are a little inclined to be narcissistic. Have a look at some of the things that Salvador Dali said. But thank goodness, the artists that I know are only slightly narcissistic, but I'm inclined to think that being an artist forces one to be narcissistic to some extent. The reason that I say that, is that the artist needs to make some sales, and in order to convince the prospective buyer that he/she is making a worthwhile investment, the artist must "sell himself". Not all artists are good at this, but we try. The act of "selling oneself" relies on, at least pretending to be narcissistic to some extent. I have seen this carried to extreme, and have also seen very good artists not saying enough to promote themselves. Oh my goodness, will somebody please protect us artist from ourselves!

No comments: