Sunday, August 23, 2015

Narcissitic


I love my mobile phone and the internet, BUT I think that the digital world is turning the population into narcissistic self absorbed people. The amount of people that are taking "selfies" is alarming. We used to take photos of our loved ones, family and friends, but not of ourselves. But it might be argued that self-portraiture was the original "selfie". That might be so, but the whole population was not artistic - sitting in front of a mirrors, painting. What is more: the reason most artists painted self portraitures was because they needed the practice and could not afford a model, or one was not available at the appropriate time. As much as I love my electronic items, it pains me to say that it has resulted in a more lonely, depressed society. We are more connected to others thought the interment than actual speaking to them face to face. In some cases people are not even touching others. On a BBC program, (I do not remember which one though) it mentioned that people are even having less sex than before. Why? - because they more connected to others via the internet, than those in the room. Have you ever been lonely in a crowd - well this is the way of things now - a room full of people but they are all connected to some else at the other end of the world. I think that in terms of social health and inter-reaction, the world is very sick. Could this epidemic be one of the unforeseen deterrents of human population explosion that Malthusians could never have imagined?

No comments: