Friday, July 5, 2019

Deciding on a title RWR180


Deciding on a title for each and every work is harder than actually painting the piece. I find that there is a certain amount of undue pressure to title ones work. I find this very disconcerting. Normally after finishing the piece, I the sit back and silently (some time not in silence as there is one or other of my favorite tunes playing in the background) and contemplate the results. Most of the time I can find an appropriate title that suites the work, but there are other times that I simply can not find one. Days go by and still no title is formed in my mind. So that is when I just give up. The only positive usage of a title is to identify the piece. But if you have been following the history of some famous paintings, you will have noticed that the title can change with the passing of time and the critic.

No comments: